[illumos-Developer] bug #1176, Was: DHCP, DNS domains and search lists in /etc/resolv.conf

Hans Rosenfeld rosenfeld at grumpf.hope-2000.org
Sat Jul 2 08:05:23 PDT 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 10:11:24PM +0100, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
> >I just hacked together a quick fix which should give some saner
> >behaviour. If only one DNS domain name is provided, a domain statement
> >will be created in /etc/resolv.conf, otherwise a search statement with
> >all domains will be used.
> >

> With current resolver versions, I don't think there's any difference
> between a domain statement, and a search statement with just one
> entry, so you can probably simply always use search regardless of
> the number of entries.

You're right. I checked the resolver code to verify that search and
domain really are the same. The only difference is that search allows
specifying multiple domain names.

I opened bug #1176 for this, with a patch attached to fix this:
	https://www.illumos.org/issues/1176

The patch so trivial that I don't think a webrev is necessary.

Hans

--
%SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, The operating system has been overthrown