[illumos-Developer] On using KM_NORMALPRI for non-blocking AND non-destructive allocs

Bryan Cantrill bryancantrill at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 01:10:42 PDT 2011

[ Description of KM_NORMALPRI elided ]

> So here I am mentioning this idea to folks in both audiences.  I'm a little
> distracted with Nexenta-driven work, alas, but there's gotta be someone out
> there who can try this out with DTrace?

I gave this a whirl tonight -- not surprisingly, it makes a huge
difference on the resize tests (where we deliberately attempt to
allocate a stupidly large buffer and let DTrace autoscale it down).
Given the improved behavior, there is now a way to make this behavior
even better (especially on large SMP machines), and the tests can be
cleaned up (in particular, the "preallocate" wart can be removed).
I'm still finalizing testing, but I'll send out diffs once that's done
-- and thanks Dan for pointing out that KM_NORMALPRI is in illumos!

        - Bryan