[illumos-Developer] webrev for 294, 1149

Gordon Ross gordon.w.ross at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 07:22:42 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Richard Lowe <richlowe at richlowe.net> wrote:
> Some questions.
>
> - is moving the "basic" definitions out of SUMWcs going to leave people with
> none?  I didn't see an added dependency to pull in the full package.

Good question.  Be careful about removing stuff from SUNWcs
unless you use dependencies or something to get that same stuff
installed when needed.

> - is there any risk to removing the entries that are part of LP?

I don't think they're used, but are the entries in the new termcap.src?

Off topic, but I would welcome work on removing the "lp" system,
now that we have the (far superior) CUPS.

> - would you be willing to delete the entries in the xcurses and xcurses2
> sources which we don't ship?  I have changes for this in a findunref branch
> on github that I can provide but I haven't tested them.
>
> I tried to figure out if removing the thirdpartylicense bits was correct,
> but ended up more confused rather than less.  I think it needs to be listed
> as MIT, but the copyright bit I don't understand.

That file is somewhat confusing due to lack of a copyright.
And that needs to be fixed before integration.

Under US copyright law, there is a "copy right" held by some party,
even if not claimed in the work.  The exception (I think) is when a
work is "put into the public domain" which appears to have been
the intention here.  If we can confirm that, maybe a clarification of
that (stated in the file)  would be sufficient to allow integration.

> Test advice: xterm*, screen* and the console are probably the most
> important.  Make sure mdb is happy (pager, bold, underline, cursor
> positioning) same with kmdb.

See also my previous asking about how to make it easy to test...

Thanks,
Gordon