[illumos-Developer] Webrev for bug 1155: in.ftpd sometimes starts with SIGALRM blocked

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Sun Jul 17 06:29:08 PDT 2011

This is for illumos bug 1155: in.ftpd sometimes starts with SIGALRM
blocked.  My webrev is at:

I have hard evidence that inetd will occasionally start a controlled
service with SIGALRM blocked.  This causes timeouts in the service to
fail.  My fix clears the signal mask after the fork() but before the
service is exec()'ed.

Note that I have not determined how this signal becomes blocked in
inetd.  SIGALRM or alarm() do not appear in the code.  My fix is
defensive in nature, and does solve the timeout problem in controlled
services.  In brief testing, it has no negative side effects.