[illumos-Developer] Solaris Future?

Sriram Narayanan sriram at belenix.org
Tue Jul 26 11:12:02 PDT 2011

2011/7/26 "C. Bergström" <cbergstrom at pathscale.com>:
<snip/>

>> The main question of my previous message was - will SunOS totally progress
>> for ALL? Not for me individually.
>> Is there any reason to get involved? Or the system is now living it's last
>> days and is half-dead?
>> Is it going to become "user friendly" OS (as it was few years ago)?
>> Or SunOS (and it's kernel) is a property of few developers who do some job
>> on few company's demand for money?
>
> Personally for a server OS I think it had and has quite a bit of life left.
>  For a desktop I think you should push your vendor to support the OS.
>  Unfortunately, this is likely to be a chicken/egg problem where they will
> be reluctant to support anything that doesn't have a large enough userbase.
>  I'm not personally aware of any company focusing on Solaris desktop
> solutions, but maybe the collective effort will make it possible.

Well said. I myself use only Dell laptops, and the opensolaris
platform has always supported everything I needed - wifi, video and
audio drivers, ethernet, etc.

I think that for a developer, this is a seriously amazing platform.
I've just submitted four proposal for DevOps Days Bangalore (August
27/28) where I'll be presenting on Zones, DTrace, ZFS and Crossbow for
developers and system administrators.

-- Sriram
Belenix: www.belenix.org