[illumos-Developer] Solaris Future?

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Tue Jul 26 21:55:23 PDT 2011

  On 07/27/11 09:06 AM, Haudy Kazemi wrote:
> On 7/26/2011 1:31 PM, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>>> Intel provides that video card support via integrations of the i915
>>> driver into
>>> the Solaris ON gate, so while they still provide really good support
>>> for Intel
>>> graphics on Solaris, illumos support is currently stagnating.
>> I'm working with intel, but to be honest, their agreements with Oracle
>> make this difficult.  Apparently their agreements may limit how they are
>> able to release code to other parties.  I blame Oracle.
>>
>>     - Garrett
>
> Perhaps further consideration could be given to making another
> compatibility or translation layer allowing the use of more FreeBSD or
> Linux or even Windows (graphics, other) drivers. It has been done for
> other OSes that suffered a lack of drivers. Linux, FreeBSD, and
> OpenSolaris have NDISwrapper or Project Evil for network cards;
> Windows used to support old DOS and Windows drivers.
>
> Solve the problem once (build a robust compatibility layer), and you
> open up access to a whole collection of drivers without needing
> further work on each individual driver.
Sounds good, but what exactly would we try to be compatible with
     a) ReactOS/Win.. *lol*
     b) Linux == probably going to hit trolls, unstable interface and
licensing issues
     c) FreeBSD.... ?  (Are they really in any better shape with
graphics, interconnects or other important drivers than Solaris now - No
or not really)

This isn't to say it's not a good idea, but ping the FreeBSD devel list
and see what feedback you get.  IXsystems cares about FreeBSD as a
desktop and you may get some traction there..

Speaking for NVIDIA drivers - The binaries from NV are in good shape
across Lin/FBSD/Sol, but the open source drivers Nouveau/PSCNV are
another story.  While in our driver we've kicked out a large majority of
the deps on TTM and other linux crap it's still only usable for
compute.  (Graphics/3D is a whole other set of problems)

Sorry, but the only way out of this corner is get the hw specs and
write/fix/update the drivers.  For specs there's either a clean-room
approach by looking at existing driver code or getting them directly
from the vendors.  If you can't write code there's other ways to contribute

install/use/file bugs/create docs or help promote the current advantages