[illumos-Developer] Illumos device drivers (Was: Solaris Future?)

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Thu Jul 28 18:12:07 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 05:14:08PM -0500, Andrew M. Hettinger wrote:

>    If any of the BSDes have BSD licensed driver-code, I believe that can
>    be relicensed CDDL, so it's acceptable.
>    At least that is my understanding, please correct me if that is
>    mistaken.

The Illumos atge driver seems to have been based on the Freebsd alc
driver, although maybe only parts of it were.  I notice something
curious in the Freebsd source:

	/*
	 * One odd thing is AR8132 uses the same PHY hardware(F1
	 * gigabit PHY) of AR8131. So atphy(4) of AR8132 reports
	 * the PHY supports 1000Mbps but that's not true. The PHY
	 * used in AR8132 can't establish gigabit link even if it
	 * shows the same PHY model/revision number of AR8131.
	 */

As far as I can tell, the Illumos source does not handle that case.