[illumos-Developer] ACPICA update

Albert Lee trisk at opensolaris.org
Fri Jun 17 07:36:32 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Jerry Jelinek
<jerry.jelinek at joyent.com> wrote:
> I've noticed that the ACPICA code (usr/src/uts/intel/io/acpica)
> we're currently shipping is the Nov. 2009 release.  The code
> at www.acpica.org seems to be updated monthly and the currently
> available release is dated May 27 2011.  I was going to investigate
> updating to this release but I wanted to see if anyone else is
> already looking into this.  Also, if anyone has any input on doing this
> update, please let me know.

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for offering to take this, I can offer some assistance.

Our primary concern is that we do have some changes which were applied
under the export-restricted licence header that is currently in our
ACPICA sources. I was investigating this earlier and it doesn't appear
to be very major. We may need Intel's permission to run the "acpisrc"
tool to fix up the licence headers.

See also: https://www.illumos.org/issues/311

To ease future updates (especially with the licence issue), we almost
certainly want to create a fork of the upstream repository at
http://git.moblin.org/cgit.cgi/acpica/

-Albert