[illumos-Developer] webrev for 1125: manifest hygiene

Richard Lowe richlowe at richlowe.net
Wed Jun 29 07:17:04 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 03:09, Garrett D'Amore <garrett at damore.org> wrote:
> I think you need at least one package to deliver the group membership.

It's replaced with a transform, so nobody can get it wrong again.
They all deliver the same membership, unavoidably.

> I am also thinking you should not remove the perl 584 manifests, but merely
> obsolete them.

If you recall, the hack we came up with for perl 5.8.4 was to remove
the packages but not obsolete them, so people could keep them
installed but we could delete it.  The same has to apply for the old
package names.

Obsoleting the old name without the new names is a bad idea.

-- Rich