[illumos-Developer] 415 libreadline.so.5: symbol tgetent ... not found

Gordon Ross gordon.w.ross at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 15:27:43 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Garrett D'Amore <garrett at nexenta.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 13:44 -0400, Gordon Ross wrote:
[...]
> Ok, thanks for the explanation.  I am slightly (only slightly) concerned
> that some code might sense this header and assume BSD semantics, or
> choose BSD interfaces over SVR4 ones... is that a problem?

Well, there's always some risk that applications might get confused
when you change or augment system headers like this.  I've tried a
few things from the userland gate and none of them cared.  All the
BSD systems have termcap.h so I don't expect too much surprise.

One thing we can do to reduce risk is make this termcap filter and
system header available to the OI folks and let them build all the
stuff they normally build.  If that all builds, I assume we're OK.

Not sure how to deliver it though.  Just push it to illumos?
(and if it turns out to cause problems, back it  out:)

Gordon