[illumos-Developer] On Perl

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Wed Mar 16 09:16:13 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 08:30 -0700, John Sonnenschein wrote:

> For random scripts that might be fine, but for things like the
> interrupt routing daemon it should probably be touched as little as
> possible. I'm not sure why introducing complexity is better than
> leaving /usr/perl5/bin/perl as a pointer to the latest system blessed
> perl and leaving /usr/bin/perl open to whatever the distro maintainer
> wants to be the canonical perl

That sounds reasonable to me.

The next time I touch intrd, I want it to be to replace it with a C
based implementation.

For the record, intrd is *not* needed to boot the system.  It's purpose
in life is to rebalance interrupts to provide a better distribution of
interrupt handling across different CPUs.  Its a scalability hack.