[illumos-Developer] Webrev: New ARECA arcmsr driver

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Tue Mar 22 12:20:25 PDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 12:13 -0700, Chad Cantwell wrote:
> If by eliminating the CLI bypass logic you mean eliminating support for the CLI
> entirely, I don't think that is a good idea.  I haven't used the 1880, but in
> the 1240/60/80ML models with onboard NICs, the NIC was not a replacement for
> the CLI.  It let you have console bios access via telnet, and a web interface,
> both which eased administration but neither which replaced all the CLI
> functionality.  Also, there is a lot you can do with the CLI to automate
> administration tasks in cron jobs which would be much more difficult using
> only the onboard NIC.

Of course, we would prefer you didn't do those tasks-- ZFS and
illumos/Solaris do best when given JBODs.

Still the feedback here is useful.   (Unfortunately, the CLI I have
doesn't work with the 1880 -- it seg faults, and I can't debug it as it
is closed code.)

> That said, my last experience with Areca's drivers in OpenSolaris (ONNV circa
> 134 to 147) wasn't great.  They seemed reliable enough but tended to hog
> resources on the system (Gigabit throughput over zfs-smb sometimes dropped to
> as low as 10mbit while scrubbing a 16 disk raidz3 vdev on an Areca 1280ML.
> No similar slowdown with other disk controllers.  Same slowdowns with iperf
> tests indicating the gigabit chip was being severely throttled due to the
> Areca i/o.  The gigabit was a known-good in OpenSolaris intel chip with the
> e1000g driver).  After trying various tweaks relating to interrupt assignment
> and zfs throttling, none of which really helped I stopped using my old Areca
> controllers in OpenSolaris and replaced them with LSI 1068e-based cards.

Good choice, really. :-)  I still think hardware RAID is a mistake if
you have ZFS available.  Of course, if you don't have ZFS, then hardware
RAID may be the lesser evil of the choices remaining to you...

> I only mention this as an aside.  Maybe the newer driver fixed this problem.
> My main point is just that with a properly functioning Areca driver the CLI
> is useful.

That's good info, thanks.

Did you use the CLI on Solaris/OpenSolaris?

	- Garrett