[illumos-Developer] Webrev: New ARECA arcmsr driver

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Wed Mar 23 07:36:30 PDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 12:13:59PM -0700, Chad Cantwell wrote:
> If by eliminating the CLI bypass logic you mean eliminating support for the CLI
> entirely, I don't think that is a good idea.  I haven't used the 1880, but in
> the 1240/60/80ML models with onboard NICs, the NIC was not a replacement for
> the CLI.  It let you have console bios access via telnet, and a web interface,
> both which eased administration but neither which replaced all the CLI
> functionality.  Also, there is a lot you can do with the CLI to automate
> administration tasks in cron jobs which would be much more difficult using
> only the onboard NIC.

I must agree.  We purchase servers with the LSI RAID controller card
in preference to the Adaptec card because the `raidctl' CLI works
reasonably well from the host OS.  We have monitoring software that
uses the CLI to check the status of the disks periodically.  (Most of
the time it says `Optimal').  As well, disk replacement should be done
on the live system, rather than rebooting to get the BIOS utility.
This requires the CLI.