[illumos-Developer] Review for 719 beadm should allow BEs outside of <rpool>/ROOT

Richard Lowe richlowe at richlowe.net
Tue Mar 29 18:59:10 PDT 2011

be_create.c:627
be_snapshot.c:298

  This block is, I think, duplicated, could it be factored out?

be_utils.c:540

  I think splashimage.xpm is correct, but I may have been the person
to cause this confusion.

  I commented on the prior round that use of 'splash.xpm.gz' seems
wrong, because that's almost certainly the wrong splash xpm (I have no
idea why it's delivered, or what the confused history there is).
'splashimage.xpm' should be correct, and 'solaris.xpm' should be a
link to it, to maintain compatibility.  Using 'splashimage.xpm' would
be correct.  References to 'splash.xpm.gz' would, I think, not be.

libbe_priv.h:45

  Perhaps it's just me, but "RPOOL_CONTAINER" seems like a crummy
name, not at all indicative that it's actually a boolean

general:

  You should update the beadm manual page to describe these changes.

  Bill Sommerfeld asked in the first review why you needed two
properties, rather than having the setting of BENAME_STARTS_WITH imply
the value of RPOOL_CONTAINER

  I asked whether this was really generally useful, or something which
would be better kept in Nexenta's own tree, as it seems almost
entirely useful to maintain compatibility with their existing
filesystem layout.

-- Rich