[illumos-Developer] [REVIEW] 945, 946, 947 Joyent SMF changes (svc* -z/-Z and svcs -L)

Bryan Cantrill bryancantrill at gmail.com
Sun May 1 22:05:44 PDT 2011

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Richard Lowe <richlowe at richlowe.net> wrote:
>> general:
>> The manpage indicates that '-z' is only supported in the global zone.  What
>> is the failure mode when you use '-z' from a local zone?  Is it an error or
>> silent?  And if the former, does the user get a nice error message
>> indicating the problem?
>
> for -z, error but a useless one ("repository server unavailable",
> which I guess is true, but...)
> for -Z, same error trying to find the configd door as if we were the
> GZ, due to what appears to be some sketchy error behaviour.
>
> Sorry, I should have checked this case when I went through all the
> others, and somehow skipped it.

Yes, both of those should have improved error messages -- or should
fail cleanly if they're not in the GZ.  Rich, let me know if you want
me to code that up, and my apologies for not having caught that.

> I'll leave the other two for Bryan, who wrote all the code.  I agree
> re svcs.c:223, but can't answer re: lowlevel.

On the svcs.c:223, I would personally leave it the way it is -- svcs.c
currently doesn't really free its global state, and it seems a bit odd
to me to introduce a deletion call that would only be called in this
case.

lowlevel.c is NOT_FOUND because that's the code path you'll come down
if an invalid zone is specified; INTERNAL is only being returned for
failures of an otherwise anticipated nature.

        - Bryan