[illumos-Developer] Changing sd_io_time to 8?

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Tue May 3 08:20:35 PDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 17:14 +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> "Garrett D'Amore" <garrett at damore.org> wrote:
>
> > > If you lower this timeout, you increase the chance for aborting a command that
> > > needs to be done anyway. As the sd driver has own retries, this may cause
> > > things to fail that don't need to and in addition, you will need more time for
> > > the whole operation (including sd retries).
> >
> > This just underscores for me how terrible an idea it was to make
> > everything appear as a SCSI *disk*.  sd and sr should never have been
> > merged.  Sadly its too late to easily do anything about it.
>
> What do you believe would have been better in case that the merge had not  been
> done?
>
> Jörg

Two separate drivers, with separate logic, each of which would have been
somewhat simpler than putting all the contortions for both types of
device in the same driver.

sd is a mess, and its a mess largely because it tries to support every
possible form of mass storage.  This is a big mistake IMO.  I'd rather
have some code duplicated across different drivers, and have the drivers
be simpler and easier to maintain.