[illumos-Developer] Changing sd_io_time to 8?

Deano deano at rattie.demon.co.uk
Tue May 3 08:35:36 PDT 2011

> Yes, but the SCSI commands and the support logic you need for cdroms are
> quite different from what you need for disks, even though there is a
> large area of overlap.  There's a reason that these are specified by
> different parts of the SCSI standards. :-)
>
>	- Garrett

I agree with Garrett, the sd driver has to deal with

SCSI drives
SCSI removable
SAS
ATA
SATA
ATAPI
(and I expect a few more I've forgotten)

It’s a bit nasty for one driver to have to deal with that lot, given the number of sub-standards and appendums (and bugs!) each protocol has generated over the years.

My 2p,
Deano