[illumos-Developer] [RFC] Importing mandoc

Jens Elkner jel+illumos at cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri May 13 21:37:24 PDT 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 10:38:34PM -0400, Richard Lowe wrote:
> It already is an unstructured documented.  The mandoc structure is
> actually _more_ structured.

LOL - wrt. presentation probably. But yes, "structured doc" is a little
bit fuzzy, at least if the context isn't specified. So: If I say
"structured doc" I mean something, where one can obtain the meaning
of a term, extract certain information pretty easy. E.g. "\fBzlogin\fR"
doesn't imply, that here a command is meant or "(1)" refers to a command
section and not to a first list item, or \fBOPTIONS\fR refers to another
section of the man page, etc. ...

So actually extracting meaningful information from a *roff formatted man
page, which is not presentation related only, is pretty hard (no scheme)
- with some exceptions ...

But I guess, I'm already carrying coals to newcastle ;-)

Have fun,
jel.
--
Otto-von-Guericke University     http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/
Department of Computer Science   Geb. 29 R 027, Universitaetsplatz 2