[illumos-Developer] Heads-up: Resurrect the ZFS "aclmode" property

Gordon Ross gordon.w.ross at gmail.com
Sat May 14 06:54:33 PDT 2011

The code changes to implement the proposal were integrated today:

changeset:   13370:8c04143bd318
tag:         tip
user:        Albert Lee <trisk at nexenta.com>
date:        Sat May 14 00:29:13 2011 -0400
	742 Resurrect the ZFS "aclmode" property
	664 Umask masking "deny" ACL entries.
	279 Bug in the new ACL (post-PSARC/2010/029) semantics
	Reviewed by: Aram Hăvărneanu <aram at nexenta.com>
	Reviewed by: Gordon Ross <gwr at nexenta.com>
	Reviewed by: Robert Gordon <rbg at openrbg.com>
	Reviewed by: Mark.Maybee at oracle.com
	Approved by: Garrett D'Amore <garrett at nexenta.com>

Thanks to Albert Lee for doing all the investigation of the
PSARC/2010/029 changes, and coming up with changes
to back out parts of that without breaking other things...
(My role in this was merely advisory.)

Thanks also to various ZFS folks (who apparently prefer to
not make noise publicly, or they would have done already).

We've had similar changes in NexentaStor for months,
and I can say that the return of aclmode was much better
received than was the previous removal! :)

See the updated zfs(1m) man page for the updated
description of the aclmode property.  (Or the RFC
from early March, quoted below.)

best regards,
Gordon