[illumos-Developer] ZFS working group and feature flags proposal

Deano deano at rattie.demon.co.uk
Wed May 25 12:55:52 PDT 2011

<snip>
Hi Matt,

That's looks really good, I've been meaning to implement a ZFS compressor
(using a two pass, LZ4 + Arithmetic Entropy), so nice to see a route with
which this can be done.

One question, is the extendibility of RAID and other similar systems, my
quick perusal makes me thinks this is handled by simple asserting a new
feature using the extension mechanism, but perhaps I've missed something? Do
you see it being able to handle this situation?
Its of course a slightly tricky one, as not only does it change data but
potentially data layout as well...

Great work ZFS working group :) Nice to see ZFS's future coming together!

Bye,
Deano