[illumos-Discuss] introduction

Dmitry Yusupov dmitry at nexenta.com
Thu Aug 5 16:40:50 PDT 2010

Hi Blake,

according to Illumos presentation, its goal is to be a code
consolidation, similar to kernel.org, not a distribution.

Distribution is usually includes end user support features like:
software repositories, user support forums, IRC channels, etc.

Thanks to multi-packaging support (RPM, APT, IPS and SVR4) we are hoping
community will build various distributions based on Illumos code pretty
soon.

Having said that, we potentially will be releasing environment
bootstrapping ISO, just as minimalistic as possible.