[illumos-Discuss] [Discuss] IE? (Illumos En Español)

Matt Lewandowsky matt at greenviolet.net
Fri Aug 6 01:16:41 PDT 2010

If you speak both languages, there's no reason not to subscribe to both
lists. And maybe occasionally cross-post bilingually. :) (This goes for all
language-specific lists, in my opinion.) I, however, continue to feel that
One List to Rule Them All is a poor approach.

I honestly think that in the scheme of things, those who are totally unable
to participate in the English-language lists are a small percentage. (I'd be
happy to see numbers showing what the make-up is in the average open-source
project, but I've never found any!) However, those who prefer to communicate
in their native tongue, or are more effective in communicating with their
native language probably makes up a much more sizeable number. (And we've
certainly seen that Spanish-speakers are vocal so far!)

However, think about some of the things which are likely to be discussed on
a language-specific list:

* Localization
* Translation
* Local evangelism
* Support

With the exception of the last one (provided it's not something of a FAQ),
there's probably nothing to be gained by ensuring that the communication is
done in English. And, again, if it's of general interest, there's nothing to
stop someone from crafting a bilingual (or perhaps multilingual, in the
future) cross-posting. (Even if the bilingual part is thanks to a
translation service, though I'd hope that the submitter of that message
would be kind enough to tell the recipients so that they could understand
why the language was odd.)

Again, just my thoughts on the matter.

--Matt

P.S. Garrett had requested that the español list be set up. Is there an ETA
on that? :)

P.P.S. When it comes time to write the rules of mailing lists, may I suggest
the following? "All posts to any list should be in either UTF-8 or US-ASCII,
unless specified otherwise on the list's information page. These two
character sets should be handled properly by almost any mail client. UTF-8
is preferred." This will help prevent character set issues. ;) For some
languages, that is an important thing to have spelled out. Unfortunately,
not every mail reader is smart enough to do character set conversions yet,
as we saw during the past few days.

--
Matt Lewandowsky
Big Geek