[illumos-Discuss] Pics and Licenses

Miguel Vidal mvidal at opensolaris.org
Fri Aug 6 14:21:28 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 10:17 -0700, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> I'm working on this.  We will license this stuff but the moment the
> actual ownership details are being worked out.
>
> If you're willing to live a bit in the grey area for now, I can
> personally assure you that all reasonable and fair use will not be a
> problem.  In fact, fair use law basically guarantees that normal use
> like screenshots is automatically legal (as I understand it, although
> IANAL.)

Sorry, Garrett, Wikimedia Commons doesn't accept fair use justifications
(Wikimedia Commons is the common image/media repository used across many
Wikipedia projects, as Spanish chapter and many others):

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Fair_use

So we need any Illumos content (logo, screenshots, images...) is under a
free/open license (according to "Freedom Defined") to be able to reuse
it in Wikipedia projects (and in many other community projects):

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Licensing

thanks!

--m

--
Miguel Vidal
  Madrid Opensolaris User Group (madrid-osug)