[illumos-Discuss] interesting projects available

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Sat Aug 7 13:51:25 PDT 2010

"Garrett D'Amore" <garrett at nexenta.com> wrote:

> c) iconv -- perhaps we can use GNU version?   (Though truth be told, I'd
> prefer to have a different implementation,  just because its good for
> there to be at least one other implementation on the planet in use.)

I would like to avoid any GNU code in the basic OS.

Let me start with some questions:

1)	Is my first impression correct that we have the "complete" iconf
	code sources in libc?

2)	How could we get missing files from /usr/lib/iconv?

3)	Is there anybody who has more in depth knowledge on this topic?

Writing an iconf program that does not need to implement the -l option
may be relatively simple....

> d) kbdcomp -- seems to share code with iconv?

Good question, do you know the purpose of this program?

Jörg