[illumos-Discuss] Questions

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Mon Aug 16 05:35:15 PDT 2010

Alexander Cox <alexander.j.cox at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've been following the mailing lists and just would like to get something
> clarified. I noticed that Garrett has stated that Illumos will have full ABI
> compatibility with Solaris. With the latest leak of Orcale's plans, will
> this continue to be true? Also will Illumos be fully POSIX compliant? Is
> there any chance that Oracle will break compatibility with Solaris 10 in
> Solaris 11?

Unless oracle starts to move away from previous Solaris interfaces with their
future development branch, it is possible to continue to support compatibility.

I have already asked the OpenGroup for a free POSIX validation for Illumos. We
will start to use the opportunity from the OpenGroup once we replaced enough
closed source.

Jörg