[illumos-Discuss] Questions

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Mon Aug 16 11:33:25 PDT 2010

My thoughts are clear here.  Solaris is the market share (application
base) that we need first and foremost.  Therefore being compatible with
that is job #1.

Some purchasers want POSIX conformance (typically it shows up as a
checkbox on a gov't contract or somesuch), so we should strive for it as
long as it does not conflict with job #1.

Anyone that wants to reorder these priorities (or choose completely
different ones) is free to take our work as the foundation of a separate
project.  After all, as Bryan Cantrill said, one of the great things
that Illumos gives us is the "power to fork".  We don't all have to
agree.

	- Garrett