[illumos-Discuss] Test/build setup?

Dmitry Yusupov dmitry at nexenta.com
Thu Aug 19 11:02:00 PDT 2010

On 08/19/2010 10:38 AM, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 10:02 -0700, Erik Trimble wrote:
>> I happen to have a bunch of spare IBM e325/e326/e326m machines sitting
>> around. These are all old dual-socket Opteron 200-series machines.
>
> Good, these are still serviceable.
>

>> In addition, I should have at least several UltraSPARC IIIi and IV
>> systems that are abandoned, and I should be able to resurrect them.  I
>> *might* be able to scrounge up a T1000, but that's unlikely right now.
>> Maybe sometime soon.
>
> For building Illumos or OS/Net the IIIi and IV systems are actually
> faster.
>

>> And, of course, there's some decent storage that goes with this. Figure
>> about 1TB or so of fast SAN-based disk, and multi-TB of SATA archival.
>
> Awesome!
>

>> I've been using all this stuff at one of my friend's small ISP/developer
>> shop for about 5 years now, and I'd be happy to set it up to give us
>> some sort of nightly build and automated test configuration.   The sole
>> issue is that bandwidth in and out is limited, so I don't want to be
>> pushing big gobs of data back and forth. Running an Hg mirror internally
>> is the best thing for me, and I would *not* be able to serve out built
>> binaries to the public. But it would be more than fine to do
>> build/testing and then upload the results (including build binaries) to
>> some machine under the IllumOS umbrella.
>>

>> Any interest in having me start working on an automated build/test
>> system?
>
> Yes, me for one!
>
> Nexenta has a system called NABAT, but its highly specific to
> debian/apt, so we need something more generic.

Upcoming NexentaCore 3.9 is going to be Illumos based and *is* going to
be nightly tested/released by NABAT. While I agree, we need a generic
framework I would suspect that we only need to focus on testing Illumos
components and not its permutations or compositions. Good example would
be ztest utility..

For instance, NABAT is also testing NFS/CIFS/iSCSI against tens of
clients such us Windows/Linux/ESX/Xen/Hyper-V/etc to ensure its
interoperability. And at distro level it is easier and Illumos is not a
distro.