[illumos-Discuss] md aka svm aka lvm

Erik Trimble erik.trimble at oracle.com
Sat Aug 28 23:18:12 PDT 2010

  On 8/28/2010 11:13 PM, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> Do you use or need md/svm/lvm on illumos or OpenSolaris or similar?
>
> If so, why?
>
> I'm contemplating the idea that we don't need this baggage anymore,
> given the existence of ZFS.
>
> Perhaps I'm missing some fundamentally crucial point.  If I am, please
> tell me what it is.
>
> 	- Garrett

Right now, given that there are some things that ZFS doesn't currently
support (disk concatenation is one),  SVM still does have a use.

Also, if you need to use UFS (and, yes, there are places where UFS has
to remain the current filesystem of choice due to limitations in ZFS
performance), then SVM is needed.

Sorry, gotta keep it around for awhile longer. At the current rate, it's
probably going to be mid-decade before we can kiss UFS goodbye for all
use cases.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support