[illumos-Discuss] md aka svm aka lvm

Andre van Eyssen andre at purplecow.org
Sat Aug 28 23:20:21 PDT 2010

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010, Garrett D'Amore wrote:

> Do you use or need md/svm/lvm on illumos or OpenSolaris or similar?
>
> If so, why?
>
> I'm contemplating the idea that we don't need this baggage anymore,
> given the existence of ZFS.
>
> Perhaps I'm missing some fundamentally crucial point.  If I am, please
> tell me what it is.

Yes, we need to keep DiskSuite. It

* is used in preference to ZFS by some people
* has a smaller memory footprint than ZFS
* is used with Cluster for globally mounted filesystems
* is widely deployed in existing environments
* is still used with SAM-FS (just ask dlg!)

Oh, I could go on and on. It should stay. ZFS is not a panacea.

--
Andre van Eyssen.
mail: andre at purplecow.org          jabber: andre at interact.purplecow.org
purplecow.org: UNIX for the masses http://www2.purplecow.org