[illumos-Discuss] pkg verification error

Richard Lowe richlowe at richlowe.net
Sun Aug 29 13:15:32 PDT 2010

Gabriele Bulfon wrote:
> Hi, still digging into distro_const not working on IllumOS.
> Because the first error shows SUNWcs package not found, I tried running pkg verify against
> the local repository:
> gbulfon at opensolaris:~$ pfexec pkg verify  pkg:/SUNWcs at 0.5.11,5.11-0.147
> pkg: Unable to set locale 'en_US.UTF8'; locale package may be broken or
> not installed.  Reverting to C locale.
> Verifying: PACKAGE                                             STATUS
> pkg://on-nightly/SUNWcs                              ERROR
> file: var/spool/cron/crontabs/root
> Group: 'root (0)' should be 'sys (3)'
> hardlink: etc/rc2.d/S82mkdtab
> Missing: regular file does not exist
> looks like SUNWcs has something wrong?

These are both known problems, the package is fine, its contents are
arguably buggy (or not so arguably buggy).

crontabs/root

        crontab -e makes the 'root' group own this, whereas packaging as
        always said 'sys' should.

S82mkdtab

        A horrid script from the mists of time that, after running,
        deletes itself from rc2.d, and removef's itself to make SVR4
        packaging happy.  It really needs some other way to achieve it's
        "run once" desires.  An SMF service which disables itself after
        it has completed seems to be currently in vogue.

-- Rich