[illumos-Discuss] a suggestion on some email etiquette

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Mon Aug 30 03:16:51 PDT 2010

Hello Michael!

> This is probably no news to most of you - nevertheless, kindly indulge me :-)

[...]

> I'd therefore like to encourage people posting on this list to
> a) only quote what's relevant to what's being said
> b) follow the following form:

>     response pertaining to excerpt 1
>
>     > excerpt 2
>     response pertaining to excerpt 2

I fully agree.  I find the top-posting kind of reply unbearable.

However, I am afraid that you are on a lost cause -- the prevalent
Outlook-induced email style is so ingrained in most younger
people that it is hopeless.

What I do is quickly skim such emails and discard 95% of them,
relying on a decently indexed searchable public archive of the
mailing lists, in the hope that I can find the thread again if
I really need to.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt                  Consulting and Support for Sun Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim                     Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 45
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J. H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt