[illumos-Discuss] md aka svm aka lvm

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Mon Aug 30 08:20:23 PDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 13:21 +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Erik Trimble <erik.trimble at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> >   While I hate to hijack this conversation, but the relative merits (and
> > continued need) of SVM/UFS are well-discussed over on the
> > ZFS-discuss at opensolaris.org mailing list.  Look back the archives.
>
> There are still reasons for specific use cases where UFS makes morer sense than
> ZFS. I would like to see md to be continued.

That's been decided.

> BTW: what is the problem to keep working software?

No problem.  But if there are no consumers at all for such software, and
no maintainers, then it quickly bitrots.  Ultimately, the baggage that
such software affects us all, as each time we do a checkout and build,
we have to wait for that stuff to build and package.

Individually the cost for each such package is low.  Collectively, they
add up.

We've already determined that md is not in the class of unused software
on OpenSolaris/illumos, which was the high order bit I needed.