[illumos-Discuss] gdamore wishes he knew what would motivate more developers to work on illumos bugs....

Bryan Cantrill bryancantrill at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 07:05:51 PST 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 6:48 AM, Gleb Kursou <kursou.gleb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Forwarded conversation
> Subject: gdamore wishes he knew what would motivate more developers to
> work on illumos bugs....
> ------------------------
>
> From: Gleb Kursou <kursou.gleb at gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 3:24 PM
> To: discuss at lists.illumos.org, opensolaris-discuss at opensolaris.org
> Cc: garrett at damore.org
>

> Garrett, so you asked this question: "gdamore wishes he knew what
> would motivate more developers to work on illumos bugs...."
>
> I keep it short - and public - to start a discussion about how the
> Illumos gate should be managed. I - and many other people - think the
> biggest problem is *your* own behavior. This can be solved but
> requires a huge leap from you *first*. You need to work on your
> behavior towards people.

Actually, Adam Leventhal (Delphix) and I each (separately) gave
answers to this question on behalf of our organizations -- and the
reason that we haven't contributed has to do much more with the fact
that our teams are still ramping up, and not at all with Garrett's
style. Further, I don't find your tone to be at all productive; if you
have such strong disagreements with illumos, start your own fork -- if
you're right, people will follow you. But for the sake of those of us
who spend their days building upon this system, please focus your
energies on the technology and not on unnecessary flame wars...

        Thanks,
        Bryan