[illumos-Discuss] Boot failure on SPARC

Andrej Podzimek andrej at podzimek.org
Fri Oct 1 06:16:59 PDT 2010

Hello,

upgrading x86 machines according to this howto [http://www.illumos.org/projects/illumos-gate/wiki/How_To_Build_illumos] has worked for me so far. I tried to apply the same approach on a SPARC machine, but the machine won't boot any more. :-(

The original boot environment was a build 145 compiled from the OpenSolaris repository. Then I performed the following steps from the howto:

	wget http://hg.illumos.org/illumos-gate/raw-file/tip/usr/src/tools/scripts/onu.sh
	chmod +x onu.sh
	pfexec ./onu.sh -Ot os-devel_145 -U os-devel -u http://91.194.74.69:10000

The onu script above completed normally, with no errors, and everything looked exactly the same as on x86. A new BE called 'os-devel_145' was installed and activated. Rebooting to the new boot environment resulted in the following disaster:

	SPARC Enterprise T1000, No Keyboard
	Copyright 2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
	OpenBoot 4.30.0, 3968 MB memory available, Serial #********.
	Ethernet address *:**:**:**:**:**, Host ID: ********.

	Boot device: disk  File and args:
	SunOS Release 5.11 Version osnet145 64-bit
	Copyright (c) 1983, 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
	pci: cannot load driver
	Cannot load drivers for /pci at 7c0/pci at 0/pci at 8/scsi at 2/disk at 0,0:a
	Can't load the root filesystem
	Type  'go' to resume
	{0} ok

A couple of notes and questions:

	1) 'osnet145' is the version name from the original BE, which had been set inactive. (The version would read 'onnv_145' if the new active BE booted correctly.)
	2) Could I have possibly installed a set of packages for x86 on SPARC? (That sounds like a possible explanation. But how could it happen?)
	3) How do I select boot environments from the 'ok' prompt? Is this possible? I have only seen notes for GRUB so far.
	4) The machine does not have an optical drive. Is there a network boot image for Illumos/OpenSolaris?
	5) Is there another reasonable way to diagnose/fix this...?

A piece of advice would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.  :-)

Andrej