[illumos-Discuss] multi-extent files

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Sun Oct 24 10:56:41 PDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-10-24 at 09:42 -0700, Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:
> > Of course its *possible*.  Joerg, or anyone else, has only to prepare  a
> > reasonably formed webrev, properly tested, and meeting the other  basic
> > integration guidelines, to get it integrated.
> >
> > If that patch  depends on integrating some of Joerg's other work
> > (libschily for example),  its going to take more time and be more
> > contentious.
>
> If memory serves me well, this enhancement is intended to be integrated into
> the  hsfs driver.
>
> > I haven't looked  at this particular set of changes, but so far Joerg has
> > expressed a general  unwillingness to work on more enhancements on
> > illumos until we approve his  "star" program for integration.  That's a
> > particular axe of his to  grind, and "star" has become somewhat
> > contentious as his goals and those of  illumos are not necessarily
> > closely matched.
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but star ( Jörg's version of tar) should concern
> OpenIndiana and not Illumos, which is a kernel, right?

IMO, that might be more logical, but we do have other userland utilities
in illumos-gate.  Joerg has made getting star into illumos-gate one of
his major goals.  It does seem however, that he's the only person I've
heard of who has this particular goal or desire.

I may start a "userland" or "supplemental" consolidation using star, and
certain other things I want to remove from ON (e.g. sendmail, perhaps
lpsched), in the near future.  There needs to be further discussion
around this,  however.