[illumos-Discuss] multi-extent files

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Sun Oct 24 14:02:26 PDT 2010

Apostolos Syropoulos <asyropoulos at yahoo.com> wrote:
> in Solaris supports multi-extent  files:
>
>  http://www.archivum.info/opensolaris-bugs@opensolaris.org/2009-06/00042/%28osol-bugs%29-Question-about-Multi-extent-ISO9660-files.html
>

> When I reported this "bug" Jörg Schilling replied and he wrote in that forum
> that he had prepared everything but SUN did not wanted this additional bits.
> Is it possible that this enhancement will be included in Illumos?

Let me first write some notes on the original plans with Sun....
The original plan was to add Joliet support, to implement support for
Rock-Ridge-V1.12 and Hardlinks and to add support for large files via
ISO-9660 multi-extent files. After I implemented Joliet and Hardlink support,
it took more than 9 months to get a code-review  (although this was a project
where Sun promised to pay me). This finally resulted in a code integration without
changes. The delay caused by the Sun burocracy and the unwillingness of the Sun
employees to do code-reviews for others prevented the project from being able to
finish before the middle management changed and this new management decided that
large file support is not needed in Solaris.

Unfortunately it seems that this problem from inside Sun has been imported into
Illumos...

>From my current impressions with Illumos, i guess that there is little hope
that a code integration related to multi-extend support will ever happen
with Illumos.

What happened before?

In July, Garret D'Amore contacted me for Illumos and made several promises to
me in order to get me as a supporter for Illumos. None of his promises have
turned into reality.

In early August (after Illumos has been announced to the public) Garret
promised to integrate star and soon made some remarks. Some of them have been
valid and I introduced some changes. Unfortunately, during the past 2 months, I
have been told ad nauseum by him that star integration is a low priority task
and that Garret is not willing to do a code review that is needed for
integration. Calling star integration a low priority task sounds a bit strange
while the official main task for Illumos is to replace closed source and star
is able to replace closed source in Solaris and star is a mature piece of
software with no known bugs since two years.

At the same time Garret claims to work on replacing closed source with new OSS
code. My impression is that this code gets to few testing compared to the
complexity of the features: I've even seen integrations for software with
known bugs and without the intention to fix these bugs in the near future.

I explained to Garret that OSS in a community project only works in case that
people are treated equally and that doing code reviews for others is a mutual
courtesy. I did even have a 3:15 hour long phone call with him last wednesday
evening. In this call, I tried to explain which problems I see. At the end of
that phone call, I had the impression that Garret understood the problems.....
A few hours later, he integrated his 80% ready od(1) replacement code although
it still has several bugs or unacceptable deviations from the POSIX standard.

I tried to warn that Garret's od(1) replacement is in obvious conflict to the
POSIX standard. Instead of asking for more help, it seems that Garret never
was interested in help and even claimed that he knows that my statements abut
his od(1) replacement are wrong.

BTW: I of course offered much more software for integration than just star,
but star is the first integration project and I of course have no interest in
spending my time in other projects that will not be integrated either. Garret
also made it very clear that he is not interested in software from me as he is
not willing to give my software an equal chance. It seems that I have to give
up wasting my time in this area (Garret's od(1) replacement currently only
implements 80% of the POSIX requirements correctly and I expect that at least
60% of the work still has to be put into this implementation to make it
usable). I like to have a sufficiently comparable OSS replacement in my disto
"SchilliX" and for this reason Garret's os(1) is not suitable for SchilliX. It
seems to me that I would be more effective if I don't try to help people who
don't like help me but rather do the work on my own. I am currently writing my
own od(1) replacement and I expect it to be ready before the od(1)
implementation that is currently in Illumos will offer similar compatibility
with the Sun implementation and POSIX. If my code is ready, I will of course
publish it immediately.

Jörg