[illumos-Discuss] multi-extent files

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Sun Oct 24 14:33:44 PDT 2010

Apostolos Syropoulos <asyropoulos at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance, but star ( Jörg's version of tar) should concern
> OpenIndiana and not Illumos, which is a kernel, right?

The Solaris ONNV development tree is far more than a Linux kernel. ONNV is a
complete OS the same as e.g. FreeBSD is. ONNV is basically what you received as
complete OS around 1990 if you did not install a windowing system. ONNV of
course icnludes what the basic POSIX standard describes.

As POSIX includes e.g. pax(1) and ad the pax implementation used by Sun is the
closed source pax from the "OpenGroup", it cannot be distributed in source. We,
the community need to replace closed source programs by open source in order to
permit to port Solaris to other platforms. Sun did only deliver i386 and sparc
binaries. A Solaris for PowerPC or MIPS needs full source....

My goals for creating the SchilliX distro is to be as close as possible to the
Sun Solaris distro. If you like to use a OSS pax(1), the OSS implementation
that is closest to the closed source pax(1) found on Sun Solaris is star.

SchilliX already comes with star, but SchilliX is currently based on Illumos.
The latter may change in case that Illumos goes it's own way and deviates too
much from Sun Solaris.

Jörg