[illumos-Discuss] [ multi-extent files

Stefan Parvu sparvu at systemdatarecorder.org
Mon Oct 25 11:19:22 PDT 2010

> OK. I have star on my system. The question is why not include all three
> different
> tar's?

or have one which can digest many tar formats and implementations.

Linux based systems deliver userland GNU tools so more or less they
are the same. I hope on our front we can keep certain userland similar
and not fall on personal issues. To me as a sysadmin and to possible
other future users it is highly important to:

 - keep as close as possible with the mother ship, Oracle. IllumOS
should and must be a close variant of Solaris

 - have a consistent userland which other distros can consume. If we
start having dozens of userland tools forget about having a user community.
Its not gonna work. We need to have a common understanding and offer a
single userland to our possible users.

 - keep it simple. try to reuse sfw which already works and has been
developed close to Solaris OS.

Hopefully you guys can work out and think whats best for users and fix
such issues, like star.

Cheers,
Stefan