[illumos-Discuss] md aka svm aka lvm

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 06:35:52 PDT 2010

Gary Driggs wrote:
>> What might be chances to also retrieve some of them in case of disk failure (and in function of number of disks in rpool)?
>>
> Are you suggesting a RAID 0 set with ZFS?
>
>> I was thinking of putting non importand data directly on ZFS rpool while important ones are in raidzX/mirrored on same disks etc.
>>
> Again, I'm not sure I understand the layout. Could you please elaborate?

I was asking about comparing putting unimportant data on rpool directly,
while multiple disks are in rpool.
So that data is written on multiple disks , not in raid0, but just to
use available space on disks.

And comparing that ZFS usage with the other approach, mentioned earlier
in the thread, where it is found out that only having every disk mounted
separately can guarantee surviving of whole files.