[illumos-Discuss] Fate of the lx brand?

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Thu Sep 2 11:54:11 PDT 2010

The great thing about illumos is that anyone can create a fork, and if
the work is useful and high quality, the work can merge back into the
"upstream".

So anyone who wants to do take on lx_brand has my explicit blessing,
with a full understanding that such an effort is highly non-trivial.
I'll even be happy to offer advice to help in the effort, but I can't
spend the time to work on it directly myself.

So far, I'm not aware of anyone that has the competence to do the work
and has stepped forward to offer to take it on.

Btw, the dom0 xvm/xen support is in the category.  Its something lots of
people ask for, but nobody has stepped forward to "own". I think a lot
of this is because corporate contributors to illumos have other
priorities (like ZFS and networking enhancements.)

Hopefully that makes sense.

	-- Garrett