[illumos-Discuss] Fate of the lx brand?

Erik Trimble erik.trimble at oracle.com
Thu Sep 2 13:14:52 PDT 2010

  On 9/2/2010 11:59 AM, Gary wrote:
> It sounds like now might be a good time for anyone running lx branded
> zones to consider migrating them to Xen, xvm, VMware, VirtualBox or
> whatever hypervisor or virtualization product you're most comfortable
> with unless anyone has any idea whether these will still be supported
> in Solaris 11. Most products have some kind of physical to virtual or
> virtual to virtual conversion tool you can use to make copies your
> current zones.
>
> -Gary

Honestly, I think Gary hit the nail on the head. The LX-branded zones
are yet *another* "virtualization" type available, and we've really now
waaaaay too many. I can't see that it adds really much (if any) value
above that available via VirtualBox, and, as Garret said, it's
significantly non-trival to maintain.

If someone wants to own the code, then by all means, go for it. But I
really do think that someone's effort would be better spent on one of
the other, more mature (and widely-used/adopted) technologies.  And,
keeping it out of the main IllumOS sections is almost certainly the best
idea, regardless of whether it gets picked up to be maintained.

While I really like VirtualBox, I'd vote for continued work on the Xen
stuff before updating LX.  It's far more useful.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support