[illumos-Discuss] scoping Illumos

Andrew Kinney andykinney at advantagecom.net
Thu Sep 2 13:53:06 PDT 2010

On 2 Sep 2010 at 12:17, Blake wrote:

> In the case of Illumos, this might mean
> stable, mature core tools (zfs, dtrace, network stack) and a really
> easy build process.
>
> I guess I'm just encouraging focus on the core that makes Solaris
> great, rather than trying to compete with bells-and-whistles Linux
> distros or even Oracle Solaris.

As another list member that doesn't contribute code, my hopes for
IllumOS are along these same lines. My main interest is in the
storage and networking code (think iSCSI/NFS multipath SAN). That
requires a solid kernel and broad support for HBA and NIC hardware.
On top of that solid core, recent ZFS with bug fixes, easy (?!)
iSCSI, and NFS are on my wish list.

With Nexenta a major sponsor, it would seem that my desires should
align well with the source of a lot of code and funding.

While I know this is more the job of a distribution than a code base,
one day I'd like to see an installer, too. ;-) Give me an option to
deselect desktop related software during the installation and I'll be
a happy camper.

Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
President and