[illumos-Discuss] Fate of the lx brand?

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Thu Sep 2 15:24:51 PDT 2010

Andrew Gabriel <illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > We are no longer forced to do political decisions like Sun did in the past.
> > So it would make sense to allow to use the lx brand not only in a dedicated zone
> > but also anywhere else.
>
> That was Sun's original Janus project, based on SCO's lxrun, but
> better integrated into Solaris.

lxrun was a user space application. It emulated Linux syscall behavior via a
signal handler for SIGSYS (Bad syscall).

lkp is implmented inside the kernel.

> There was at the time a lot of interest from Enterprise customers in
> that, and there was a working build available. Unfortunately, it made
> quite a mess of the kernel, which is partly why it went back to the
> drawing board and reappeared as an lx zone. There never was any much

I heard that some Sun engineers did not like janus because it made Linux
application integration too easy and so they have been in fear that nobody
would create native Solaris applications.

It should be possible to use the lx brand code to implement something like lkp.

Jörg