[illumos-Discuss] Fate of the lx brand?

Alex Viskovatoff viskovatoff at imap.cc
Thu Sep 2 15:55:01 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 23:11 +0100, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

> 3-4 years later, and I would say this feature (either as Janus, or as
> an lx zone), is completely past any window of opportunity - indeed it's
> so distant behind us now, it's not visible anymore.

Yes, I can see that. I just thought I'd raise the matter, since I hadn't
seen it discussed with regard to Illumos, and wanted to see whether the
thinking of the people behind Illumos would be the same as that of
Oracle as far as lx zones goes.

Gary's point that the same functionality is available through VirtualBox
is well taken. There's a little more overhead, but you do have a fully
functional Linux environment, and VirtualBox is a finished, maintained
product.

Also, as Garret says, the lx brand is intrusive, so I guess it never was
a very elegant approach to virtualization from an architectural point of
view.

I guess if something like the lx brand is continued, it will have to be
along the lines that Jörg suggests.

Thanks for all the responses,
Alex