[illumos-Discuss] Fate of the lx brand?

B M b.maryniuck at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 06:23:21 PDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Joerg Schilling
<Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> It looks like Oracle is giving up Solaris as a developer and desktop platform.

Maybe I am saying something stupid, but still... My a little one yen
in the discussion: who actually expects Solaris to be a desktop
platform anyway? We have evilapplefanboys macs and Linux around,
specially for that. For example, Mac outperforming on desktop anyway
by software quality and amount, and Solaris is perfectly accessible
via "ssh -X" if I need to do so. Hence personally I see Solaris as a
true server OS and thus I would rather more like find it with a
tickless kernel to let it make sense running on ARM, instead of having
yet another "Not-yet-ubuntu" with so-so desktop quality, that even can
not run Skype natively.

Just my little notice, and if I am wrong — please correct. :-)

--
bo