[illumos-Discuss] [osol-discuss] Doc for build upgrade

Rob McMahon Rob.McMahon at warwick.ac.uk
Mon Sep 6 02:59:24 PDT 2010

  On 02/09/2010 16:25, Ali Bahrami wrote:
>>> I've just been trying this, and it all went without a hitch up to
>>> the point where you're supposed to reboot into 145. I have no
>>> errors, and I'm in the new boot environment:
>>>
>>> os-devel_145 NR / 86.05G static 2010-09-02 11:42
>>>
>>> but uname still says snv_134, which doesn't sound right to me. I'm
>>> going to continue with the code download and build, but I'm
>>> suspicious now.
>> Okay, sorry to reply to myself, but I think this is terminal. `dmake
>> setup' fails with
>>
>> ld: fatal:
>> .../illumos-gate/usr/src/common/mapfiles/common/map.noexstk: 31:
>> expected a `=', `:', `|', or `@'
>> *** Error code 1
>> dmake: Fatal error: Command failed for target `cw'
>>

>    The necessary support for the new mapfiles integrated in snv_135.
> It does
> look like your build system is still at 134.

Yup, this is one area I think IPS needs some work.  By default it tells
you nothing (only "nothing to do" type messages), with -v it gives you
pages and pages of messages about things that are just fine, with error
messages buried in the noise.  There should be something in between.

A second attempt to do by hand what onu does, but with some -v's thrown
in revealed that the package system/zones/brand/lx threw up an
"incompatible" error.  Trying to uninstall this reported that
slim_install depended on it.  So adding in

pfexec pkg uninstall -v slim_install
pfexec pkg uninstall -v system/zones/brand/lx

before running onu got me going.
I am now the proud owner of two Ilumos systems.  I had to do this on
both machines.

I hope this helps others out there.  Can we get the build document
(http://illumos.org/projects/illumos-gate/wiki/How_To_Build_illumos)
updated ?

Rob

--
E-Mail:	Rob.McMahon at warwick.ac.uk		PHONE:  +44 24 7652 3037
Rob McMahon, IT Services, Warwick University, Coventry, CV4 7AL, England