[illumos-Discuss] Little question about compilers and a future...

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Fri Sep 17 10:08:21 PDT 2010

B M <b.maryniuck at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was just wondering: SunStudio is not opened, right? So what happens
> next, if Snorcle will decide to lock the thing down? Probably so far
> is the ultimate answer: GCC. But if we use GCC, then what the
> performance will be, since SunStudio, AFAIK, significantly faster if
> not twice in some areas. Any other nice-and-fast-and-free compiler
> around?

Since today, I am ready with a OSS replacement of an inportant part of the tool
chain.

In order to compile Illumos, you not only need the Sun Studio compiler and Java
but also /usr/lib/cpp which is a K&R C preprocessor that is neither part of the
onnv consolidation nor part of the Sun Studio consolidation. It was rather
unrelated closed source software distrubuted together with SXCE and Indiana
under unknown license rules.

/usr/lib/cpp is more important than I thought before checking it's relevance.
It is used by rpcgen(1), dtrace(1), aw(1) and as(1) and it is called 1421 times
when compiling Illumos. Today a full "nightly" succeeded with the OSS
replacement I wrote.

Now we really only need to take care of the compiler and Java.

Jörg