[illumos-Discuss] Little question about compilers and a future...

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Sat Sep 18 08:00:34 PDT 2010

Just because something was known to run on Solaris before does not
automatically mean it gets an expedited review.  It *helps* the reviewer
do a simpler review, I suppose, but code review requirements still
exist.

Projects that find this bar too high to cross should reconsider their
delivery into illumos/ON proper.  Perhaps separate delivery is better.

I appreciate your thoughts on how we should review projects, but they
don't match reality or current policy.

As far as cpp, 500 lines of external code is much easier to review than
the massive amount of code in star.

Finally, your priorities may be different than mine.  That is fine.  My
priorities are based on closing key functional gaps.  If you think my
priorities are incorrect, then you may appeal to developer-council by
sending a message to developer-council at lists.illumos.org.

Ultimately, if you can find another advocate (current advocates are gwr
and richlowe) to review your code and integrate, you don't need my
approval.  But in reality, I'm likely to be the most accommodating to
you in this regard.

	- Garrett