[illumos-Discuss] CPU/Chipset architecture for high performance ZFS servers

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Fri Apr 1 07:25:15 PDT 2011

  On 04/ 1/11 06:05 AM, Alasdair Lumsden wrote:
> On 01/04/2011 14:03, Alasdair Lumsden wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone could comment on the best CPU/Chipset
>> architecture (Intel E56xx/X56xx vs AMD 61xx) for high performance
>> ZFS/Nexenta based storage servers.
>>
>> There will be two clustered storage heads, with dual 10GigE adapters
>> attached to multiple SAS 6Gbps disk shelves
>
> I should point out that I mean the 10GigE adapters are for the
> ethernet network, and the SAS JBODs will be attached via 6Gbps LSI
> cards ;)

We have had good results with Intel kit, and they're friendly to Nexenta
and illumos so I prefer to reward that. :-)  Your RAM sizes are good,
possibly even overkill, as long as you are not using dedup.

More cores is better... what protocols would you be using (NFS?  iSCSI?
FCoE?)

I can put in touch with one of our sales/field engineers who is *very*
good and has a great deal of experience configuring these things.  He
can help you spec out the kit that will perform best for your application.