[illumos-Discuss] CPU/Chipset architecture for high performance ZFS servers

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Fri Apr 1 11:54:04 PDT 2011

  On 04/ 1/11 11:46 AM, Gary wrote:
> What's the status of the emlxs driver in Illumos/x86 and SPARC? I ask
> because it supports many of the current Emulex FCoE cards. And if I'm
> not mistaken, some Qlogic chipsets have been supported by Solaris for
> some time and they also have some "unified" or "converged network"
> storage adapters that might meet your customer's current and potential
> future needs.

Both driver sets should work.  I think we see more qlogic stuff in the
field.

The emulex driver has had some work that makes me not want to trust it
for use involving "converged" cases -- i.e. I wouldn't want to use it as
a generic 10GbE adapter, but I don't have any operational experience to
back that up.

     - Garrett